Avasant Speaks at Digital Convergence Conference (DCC) 2019 Avasant Speaks at IAOP’s GOV19: Governance in the Digital Era
“IBM maintains its industry-leading position by leveraging its proprietary technology assets to deliver cutting-edge solutions.”
- IBM has years of experience in providing guiderails to the industry by being at the forefront of technology implementation. It introduced the first online reservation system in 1960 and the world’s first self-service airline ticketing kiosk in the 1970s.
- Serves a large client base across the globe through 5 major global delivery centers located in Beijing, Dallas, Frankfurt, Zurich and Paris.
- Leverages its differentiating assets including Watson, Maximo and Cognos to build solutions. For instance, the IBM Travel Platform – an open platform for airlines which offers solutions for retail, operations and maintenance. It is a mobile and cloud-based platform that uses cognitive capabilities and offers several modular components for airlines and airports clients.
- Actively engaged in the development of solutions using emerging technologies such as cognitive intelligence and blockchain to deliver value to clients. For instance, IBM is working with Lufthansa to explore use cases for using AI solution to automatically update flight operations manual whenever Germany’s National Enforcement Body for air passengers rights changes legal requirements and to propose the best solution for employee’s questions based on prior experience and information from several other databases.
Investments and Innovation
- Views its travel and transportation industry, which includes airlines and airports, a major focus area. It has earmarked an annual spend of USD 25M for R&D in this vertical.
- Acquired capabilities to complement existing suite of offerings through major acquisitions such as the Weather Channel and Red Hat. For instance, it has integrated the Weather Channel’s data offerings in several of its airline and airport solutions and expected to improve security of its offerings through Red Hat acquisition.
Partnership and Ecosystem
- Has maintained long-standing relationships with leading industry organizations and technology players. For instance, it has partnered with IATA and SITA for more than 2 decades to develop industry standards and solutions.
- Built several partnerships with technology companies to develop point and integrated solutions. For instance, it partnered with Apple to develop a suite of business apps on iOS and with Arrow Electronics to co-create an IoT solution for airport asset management.
DISCLAIMER: This graphic was published by Avasant LLC as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The document is available upon request from Avasant website. Avasant does not endorse any provider, product or service depicted in its research publications, including RadarViewTM, and does not advise users to select only those providers recognized in these publications. Avasant’s research publications are based on information from best available sources and Avasant’s opinion at the time of publication, and their contents should not be construed as statements of fact. Avasant disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including and warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.