Harman Connected Services recognized as a Disruptor in Avasant’s Internet of Things Services RadarView™ Report
Among endless service provider options, novel and disruptive mechanics in innovation brings recognition as a Disruptor for Internet of Things Services 2019.Read the Avasant report
AVASANT ANALYST INSIGHTS
- Harman, which had early focus on R&D in IoT product space, accelerated the service part of the IoT solution through the strategic acquisition of Symphony Teleca in 2015. Since then, it has developed a comprehensive set of offerings that span across device design and engineering, device management, system integration and analytics.
- In 2017, Harman became a subsidiary of Samsung. It works fairly independently, and also has extensive collaboration with companies within Samsung. One of the key collaborations is with Samsung SmartThings, where Harman’s engineering team works with SmartThings’ R&D team to develop an expanded set of offerings focused on automotive, home, mobile and work use cases.
- Developing partnerships has been a key tenet of Harman, and it has over 50 partnerships in IoT space that span connectivity, technology R&D, platform and equipment. Through its partnership with Samsung ARTIK, an IoT platform, it is expanding its presence in the industrial space as Harman’s gateway solutions combine with ARTIK’s System-on-Modules (SOMs) technology for both enterprise and industrial deployments.
Investments and Innovation
- Harman has significant IP investments that have led to more than 10 IoT IPs and assets including the IoT gateway for connected home, smart cooler and OTA device management. Its customer solutions are typically built around its self-developed IP.
- Harman has a strong focus on future-defining technologies and has identified and invested in technologies such as 5G and V2X. It is already close to releasing a number of commercial solutions around these technologies which will give it an edge in not just the connected car space, but also in a number of enterprise applications.
- Harman has been engaging with the industry to showcase its strengths and products in various events. It has had prominent presence in the Mobile World Congress, Consumer Electronics Show and the Industrial IoT World over the years with significant interest generated around its connected in-vehicle experience solutions.
- It has been disseminating its perspectives on cutting edge areas such as autonomous vehicles and 5G communications. It is establishing its thought leadership through a number of webinars around these areas.
This graphic was published by Avasant LLC as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The document is available upon request from Avasant website. Avasant does not endorse any provider, product or service depicted in its research publications, including RadarViewTM, and does not advise users to select only those providers recognized in these publications. Avasant’s research publications are based on information from best available sources and Avasant’s opinion at the time of publication, and their contents should not be construed as statements of fact. Avasant disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including and warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.