Avasant Speaks at Digital Convergence Conference (DCC) 2019 Avasant Speaks at IAOP’s GOV19: Governance in the Digital Era
“Partner-led approach backed by extensive global coverage and robust partner ecosystem. Strong R&D focus”
- Telefonica has taken partner-led approach to offer its SD-WAN managed services, where it has collaborated with two leading vendors: Cisco and Nuage Networks. In second half of 2017, it rolled out its SD-WAN services based on Nuage Networks virtualized network services (VNS) platform. Post this, in 2019, it started offering managed SD-WAN services globally, based on Cisco SD-WAN (Viptela).
- After launching in Spain, Telefonica expanded its SD-WAN global reach through Telefonica Business Services (International) and other subsidiaries.
- Its unique reference architecture for NFV called ‘UNICA, which was launched in 2015 has gained significant traction among its existing client base. It leverages UNICA to embrace SDN and NFV offerings, and also revamp its network infrastructure with virtualization. In 2016, it selected Ericsson as one of the major global partners ensuring the rollout of UNICA functionalities worldwide.
- In addition to SD-WAN, its enterprise customers can access to software-defined data centers (SDDC), based on Nuage’s virtualized cloud services.
- Telefonica’s strong partnership ecosystem addresses all aspects of SD-WAN, from network services (Nuage Networks), to SD-WAN platform (Cisco, Riverbed), WAN optimization (Infovista Ipanema) and security firewall (Fortinet, Juniper Networks). To enhance security capabilities within SD-WAN platform, it has recently launched Virtual Firewall Service based on Fortinet’s Next-Generation Firewall.
- As part of the Riverbed Performance Partner Program, Telefonica offers Riverbed SteelHead WAN optimization and Riverbed SteelCentral solutions integrated with its managed services portfolio.
Investments and Innovation
- From a research & development (R&D) standpoint, it is conducting Transport SDN controller lab tests in conjunction with Huawei to improve planning, management, and troubleshooting of Telefonica Spain ROADM-based photonic mesh fiber-optic network across 200+ locations.
- In addition to its UNICA lab, it has established an NFV Reference Implementation Lab to incorporate new networking business requirements. It is also planning to set up a global VNF certification lab where it will test VNFs under consideration for UNICA deployment.
DISCLAIMER: This graphic was published by Avasant LLC as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The document is available upon request from Avasant website. Avasant does not endorse any provider, product or service depicted in its research publications, including RadarViewTM, and does not advise users to select only those providers recognized in these publications. Avasant’s research publications are based on information from best available sources and Avasant’s opinion at the time of publication, and their contents should not be construed as statements of fact. Avasant disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including and warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.