Telstra recognized as a Disruptor in Avasant’s SD-WAN Managed Services RadarView™ Report
Among endless service provider options, novel and disruptive mechanics in innovation brings recognition as a Disruptor for SD-WAN Managed Services 2019.Read the Avasant report
“Strong on-net footprint in ANZ built through key acquisitions. Deep and established partnerships and well-defined future roadmap”
AVASANT ANALYST INSIGHTS
- Telstra has taken a multi-vendor approach towards SD-WAN managed services, complemented by its extensive global private network of ~400,000 km of cable, 2,000+ PoPs in more than 200 countries and territories globally. Currently, it is offered as a service on the Telstra Programmable Network.
- Its global software-defined platform ‘PEN’ offers high-bandwidth provisioning (up to 100G) and automated fault restoration across its 25 points-of-presence (PoPs) in 8 countries, including Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, US and UK. In 2016, it unveiled two new additional functionalities for the PEN platform, namely, PEN Exchange (used for triggering additional capacity) and PEN Marketplace (online hub to order NFV equipment in real-time).
- Through consulting-led managed service options, Telstra offers customers both a hardware-based solution (physical appliance) using traditional routers, as well as a software-based solution, a virtual network function (VNF) rooted in the cloud.
- With strong on-net footprint in Australia and New Zealand (ANZ), Telstra is addressing increasing SD-WAN demands in Asia-Pacific and the UK. Half of its SD-WAN opportunities are coming from outside of Australia, indicating its ability to serve clients beyond ANZ.
- Telstra has developed a robust partnership with leading SD-WAN technology providers such as Cisco Meraki, Cisco Viptela, Riverbed, Juniper Networks and telecom operators (Pacnet Business Solutions). Through Telstra PBS, a joint venture with Pacnet Business Solutions China, it offers VeloCloud SD-WAN as part of its product offerings in mainland China.
- As part of its long-standing partnership with Cisco, it has launched three SDN and NFV products in March 2016 including cloud gateway protection, internet VPN, and data center interconnect to improve cloud security and global data center interconnectivity.
Investments and Innovation
- Telstra has been making inorganic investments to expand its SD-WAN capabilities. In December 2017, it acquired VMtech, a managed service provider with expertise in enterprise-grade connectivity and security solutions, to augment VMtech’s Secure Fabric solution with its SD-WAN services.
- It has invested in the most recent Series D round of funding for VeloCloud totaling USD 35M, as part of their overall network strategy with SDN and NFV enterprise offerings. Recently, it has expanded its Telstra programmable network via a new PoP in Dubai to offer flexible and dynamic access to high bandwidth, low latency, and secure network.
2019 Digital Masters RadarView™ Report
2019 Cybersecurity RadarView™ Report
2019 Applied AI and Advanced Analytics RadarView™ Report
2019 Internet of Things Services RadarView™ Report
2018 Hybrid Enterprise Cloud Services RadarView™ Report
2018 Intelligent Automation Services RadarView™ Report
2018 Blockchain Services RadarView™ Report
Telstra’s SD-WAN Managed Services Practice
This graphic was published by Avasant LLC as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The document is available upon request from Avasant website. Avasant does not endorse any provider, product or service depicted in its research publications, including RadarViewTM, and does not advise users to select only those providers recognized in these publications. Avasant’s research publications are based on information from best available sources and Avasant’s opinion at the time of publication, and their contents should not be construed as statements of fact. Avasant disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including and warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.