CGI recognized as an Innovator in Avasant’s Utilities Digital Services RadarView™ Report 2020 – 2021
Among endless service provider options, novel and disruptive mechanics in innovation brings recognition as an Innovator for Utilities Digital Services 2020-2021.Read the Avasant report
AVASANT ANALYST INSIGHTS
- CGI’s utility practice is primarily EU-centric with 77% of the clients based in EU. However, it has presence in North America, Latin America and APAC as well.
- Its industry-specific offerings cover both point and integrated solutions. It has 20+ utility-specific proprietary solutions addressing focus areas such as plant access control, performance management, and omnichannel experience to energy retailers.
- It actively leverages cross-industry solutions and assets to deliver value to utility clients. For instance, it used a real-time data transaction analytics tool used in banks to analyze and convert generated data into meaningful insights for a smart meter solution. Similarly, it used MaEVA (Webex) used in the aeronautics industry to connect to on-field engineers for its utilities clients as well.
- It explores use-cases and the integration of emerging technologies in solutions to deliver innovative solutions to its clients. It is working with Eneco to develop a blockchain-based decentralized energy market solution for energy settlements, which is expected to go live this year.
Investments & Innovation
- To develop new and augment existing capabilities for the utility sector, CGI acquired companies such as: Affecto, which brought 1,000+ people into its digital analytics team and IP solutions for utility practice; SUMMA, which brought various frameworks, templates and functional capability; Acando, which brought strategic consulting capability; and Facilité Informatique, which brought in IT consulting capability.
- Every year, it conducts an annual global client insights Voice of the Clients survey to understand the trends going on in the utility industry, from both the customer as well as the enterprise perspectives. This research provides guidance on industry trends and market structure.
Partnership & Ecosystem
- CGI has a diverse partnership ecosystem focused on driving co-creation of client-centric innovative solutions. In 2018, it partnered with GE for joint development of electric grid software in North America. It partnered with Sigfox to use communication networks for IoT-enabled solutions for utilities.
- It has also partnered with clients to develop industry-specific solutions. With Hydro-Québec, it launched MILES, a data analytics solution to identify the root causes of electricity outages before they occur.
This graphic was published by Avasant LLC as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The document is available upon request from Avasant website. Avasant does not endorse any provider, product or service depicted in its research publications, including RadarViewTM, and does not advise users to select only those providers recognized in these publications. Avasant’s research publications are based on information from best available sources and Avasant’s opinion at the time of publication, and their contents should not be construed as statements of fact. Avasant disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including and warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.