HCL recognized as a Leader in Avasant’s Utilities Digital Services RadarView™ Report 2020 – 2021
Among endless service provider options, novel and disruptive mechanics in innovation brings recognition as a Leader for Utilities Digital Services 2020-2021.Read the Avasant report
AVASANT ANALYST INSIGHTS
- HCL’s digital services for its utility clients are broadly classified into 3 major focus areas: digital grid (asset management, smart meter/grid), digital field workers (mobile work and learning, drones, 3D printing), and digital office worker (data visualization, bots, etc.).
- To support its practice, it has developed multiple IPs around customer engagement and billing (Engage), grid management (Active Grid Management), asset management (HAMS). Currently, it is working on projects using drone technology in convergence with AI analytics to assess asset conditions.
- It considers cybersecurity an important focus area for its clients. It opened a delivery center in the US that provides cybersecurity services.
- It works with clients to support the implementation of solutions with the potential of developing new revenue streams. For instance, it is providing smart meter product engineering service for Direct Energy, with features that can identify problems in home appliances in advance and provide appropriate service, thus creating a new revenue stream for the utility.
Investments & Innovation
- In the last couple of years, HCL has taken the inorganic route to strengthen its practice. Some of these are: Actian (analytics), C3i (call center work solutions), and PowerObjects (CRM).
- Its investment plans are focused around 3 areas: digital customer enhancement, IT applied cybersecurity for IT/OT, and IoT with blockchain in utility.
- It follows a collaborative approach towards innovation, which includes participation from clients to develop solutions. For this, it has set up a Co-Innovation Council responsible for driving technology and operations innovation. It also has 3 co-innovation labs for utilities in India, Europe and the US.
Partnership & Ecosystem
- HCL has a diverse partnership ecosystem, which includes Harris Geospatial and Nexant for advanced analytics solutions, Smart Water Energy for delivering digital customer and workforce management solutions, and Broadcom for automated remediation, analytics and digital BizOps systems for smart grid and smart meter solutions.
- With Indra, a global consulting and technology company, it plans to market InGRID Active Grid Management (AGM) to North American utilities. InGRID is an IoT platform for monitoring and controlling grids.
This graphic was published by Avasant LLC as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The document is available upon request from Avasant website. Avasant does not endorse any provider, product or service depicted in its research publications, including RadarViewTM, and does not advise users to select only those providers recognized in these publications. Avasant’s research publications are based on information from best available sources and Avasant’s opinion at the time of publication, and their contents should not be construed as statements of fact. Avasant disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including and warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.